Brock Rocks

December 28, 2010

in the hospital

Filed under: Uncategorized — Vanessa @ 2:02 pm

Brock woke up yesterday morning with a fever so we took him to clinic to draw blood cultures and check a cbc.  The cbc showed that he needed blood, and that he was neutropenic.  Since it’s been so long since he’s been neutropenic, here’s a refresher.  Neutropenic = dangerously low immune system.  It also means that he had to be admitted for iv antibiotics.

As long as the blood cultures stay negative and he doesn’t have anymore fevers, then we’ll be able to go home in a few days.

December 27, 2010

Being admitted

Filed under: Uncategorized — Vanessa @ 12:44 pm

Being admitted for iv antibiotics and blood transfusion. More details when I’m at a real computer.

December 21, 2010


Filed under: Uncategorized — Vanessa @ 1:40 pm

My public service announcement for the day: Make Sure You Know CPR!

December 20, 2010

spinal tap, big decisions, exciting news

Filed under: Uncategorized — Vanessa @ 9:49 pm

Brock had a spinal tap last Wednesday and he did FANTASTIC!  I think we finally figured out what works for him so that he’ll actually sedate.  Benadryl, Versed, Ketamine, and a doctor that works fast!

The rest of this is long and kind of detailed, but important information and big prayer requests.

While we were there Brock’s oncologist talked to us about considering participation in a clinical trial.  Brock’s current treatment plan (which is recommended by a nationwide organization) calls for iv chemo and 5 days of steroids every 4 weeks, and spinal taps with intrathecal chemo (chemo into his spinal fluid) every 12 weeks.  The clinical trial wants to see if it’s effective to only do iv chemo and steroids every 12 weeks instead of 4.  (Both protocols would have him getting oral chemo every night at home).

The reason she thought we might be interested is because for the last 2-3 months Brock’s been getting fevers for a week or more after we finish the steroids.  Remember fever means ER visit, blood cultures, labwork, etc.  No one knows exactly why he’s getting the fevers.  It could be because the iv chemo and steroids are surpressing his immune system to a point where the fungal infection is flaring up.

So.  We don’t know what to do.  It would be really nice to only do steroids every 12 weeks.  And if that keeps the fungal infection at bay and keeps Brock out of the hospital, then fantastic.  But.  BUT!  What if waiting every 12 weeks instead of 4 weeks between rounds makes him relapse further down the line?  I really can’t even imagine.  If that happened, a stem cell transplant would be his only option for a cure and honestly, I don’t think his body (and his kidneys in particular) are in good enough health to live through a transplant.  Not to mention the fact that Jaycie isn’t a match for a donor.

So please pray for Jay and I.  That God would give us wisdom about which option to chose.

Lastly, I have exciting news!  Brock-ly is going to school in January!!!  He’ll be going to Mother’s Day Out at our church 1 day a week.  We’re all so excited for him.  Jaycie’s so excited that she bought him a nap mat for Christmas.  🙂  He’ll be in the younger-one year old room because that’s about where he is developmentally.  We’re hoping that this will give him even more opportunity to get caught up on all the development he’s missed out on during the last year.  Please pray that God would protect his immune system and keep him safe from illness while he’s at school.  Pray also that he’ll have an easy time adjusting and that God can use this to help Brock learn to eat, walk, etc.

Thank you for continuing to pray with us!  We’re praying you all have a wonderful Christmas!

December 11, 2010

This One’s For The Boys

Filed under: Uncategorized — Vanessa @ 8:36 pm

Well, not exactly.  But you know how teenage boys get a kick out of comparing scars with each other?  It’s something I won’t ever quite “get,” being a girl and all.  But I thought I’d give B a jumpstart.

The truth is, I’m a teacher and knowledge and information and correct-ness matter to me (probably even when it shouldn’t).  Unless you’re a doctor or a nurse or a family member, I’d imagine it could get confusing when I talk about Brock’s port verses his g-tube.  People ask me questions about it quite frequently, so I thought I’d try to clear it up with some pictures.

Skip to the end if you don’t want to see my precious baby’s nekkid belly!

This picture is definitely more fun than the last two.  Look who learned to climb today!

Lastly, I got a better picture of the ‘Believe in Miracles’ ornament and wanted to share it with you.  I was (humbly) reminded that a dear family friend gave it to us.  Her family and my family lived across the street from each other from the time I was about 5 years old until I left for college.  Her daughters were like sisters to me and I’m very thankful that God placed this family in my life.

December 10, 2010

deck the halls (or at least the tree)

Filed under: Uncategorized — Vanessa @ 2:08 pm

(my camera needs a better operator)

someone gave us this ornament last year when brock was in the hospital.  sadly, i can’t remember who.  if it was you, please tell me in the comments!

our favorite ornament.

December 7, 2010

Another transfusion

Filed under: Uncategorized — Vanessa @ 11:14 am

We were in the er Sunday night for a fever and found out his hemaglobin was low again. They discharged us and we went to clinic yesterday to check it again. It was still low so we stayed for a blood transfusion. Long day – about 8 hours up at the hospital.

Still praying for no more fevers, and thankful that his white count has been high enough to fight off infection and keep us from being admitted.

December 5, 2010

tired of fevers and er trips!

Filed under: Uncategorized — Vanessa @ 1:59 pm

brock has another fever. jay is taking him to the er right now.

jaycie is singing with the children’s choir at church tonight. praying that the boys make it back in time to come.

December 3, 2010

er, again

Filed under: Uncategorized — Vanessa @ 3:02 pm

still having fevers.  another ER trip last night.  but at least we all got to enjoy jaycie’s christmas program at church together first. 

in case you’re new here, or in case i haven’t been very clear (which is more likely the case), the reason we have to go to the ER every time he has a fever higher than 101 is because he could have a bacterial infection in his blood and we have to do blood cultures from his port (the device under his skin in his chest that goes into a vein) and check a cbc to make sure his immune system is not at a dangerously low level.  i have no idea why 101 is the magic cut off number, but it is.

his blood cultures have all come back negative (which is good) but his fevers are getting more and more frequent (which is bad).

December 2, 2010

in and out

Filed under: Uncategorized — Vanessa @ 2:30 pm

we had a short hospital stay tuesday night – wednesday morning.  brock got a fever tuesday night and when we got to the ER we found out his hemaglobin was 6.7.  it had been 8.something a few days before and they transfuse anything below 8.  so we stayed the night for a blood transfusion and left on wednesday.

Create a free website or blog at