Brock Rocks

August 31, 2010

In Recovery

Filed under: Uncategorized — Vanessa @ 2:11 pm

He’s in the recovery room still. They were able to get everything done. Praise the Lord!

Surgery Day

Filed under: Uncategorized — Vanessa @ 9:12 am

We’re waiting in pre-op with B right now. You can get updates during the surgery on Twitter or by looking at the Twitter posts on the right hand column of this page.

Thank you for praying with us.

August 24, 2010

New Surgery Date

Filed under: Uncategorized — Vanessa @ 10:36 pm

We’re trying to enjoy our time at home but Brock is finishing a steroid burst and so he’s been pretty miserable.  Other than the hours of screaming each day, things are good.  😉  Thankfully tonight was his last dose so hopefully he’ll return to his happy self soon.

The surgeon’s nurse called me today and we’ve rescheduled his surgery for August 31.  This is the one we were supposed to do on the 17th – place a new infusaport, remove his picc line, do a fundoplication, and switch out his g-j tube for a g tube.  It’ll be a big deal; especially the fundoplication because he won’t be able to do it laproscopically.  Brock’s had problems with weaning from pain medication in the past, so we’re praying that they’ll be able to adequately manage his pain but that he would also be able to wean off the pain meds as quickly as possible.  We’re praying, also, that the surgeon will even be able to DO the fundoplication.  He tried last February and it didn’t work.

Thank you for continuing to pray along with us!

August 23, 2010

Home again

Filed under: Uncategorized — Vanessa @ 6:32 pm

Praise the Lord!

August 21, 2010

I’ve lost count

Filed under: Uncategorized — Vanessa @ 7:45 pm

ANOTHER positive blood culture today. From the old picc line that’s been removed. Looks like we won’t be out of here until at least Tuesday.

August 20, 2010

New Picc Line

Filed under: Uncategorized — Vanessa @ 1:39 pm

Brock’s out of surgery and the new picc line is in place. The other surgeries (fundo,gtube,port) will be rescheduled for sometime after Aug 30th. Thank you for praying for us!

August 19, 2010

5 days in 5 minutes

Filed under: Uncategorized — Vanessa @ 2:39 pm

Going to attempt to wrap up the last 5 days in under 5 minutes because Brock is asleep but starting to stir.  Lots of medical jargon because I’m updating quickly so skip to the last 3 bullets for the bottom line.

– Sunday night he got a fever that went from 100.4 to over 102 in about 5 minutes.  Poor thing was shivering so bad (badly?? – I’m horrible at grammar).s  I called the hem/onc drs and we went to the ER for a cbc and blood cultures. Eight (8!) hours later we were finally admitted to a room.  Mostly b/c the ER clotted off his picc line and we needed to get it fixed so that we could do our iv meds at home.

– Monday day they did a chest xray to check the pneumothorax and found that he had some pneumonia on his left lung.  Started 2 antibiotics.

– Monday evening the blood culture from the night before came back with gram negative rods.  A bacterial infection that can sometimes be hard to treat and that can make kids really sick.  The positive culture was from his picc line and a peripheral.  (By the way, notes like that are mostly for my sake so that when I have a question I can look back to see what happened.  I don’t expect you to know or care about the difference between picc line or a peripheral or gram negative or gram positive).  🙂

– Monday night we switched antibiotics b/c of the gram negative.

– By Wednesday day he was doing great and all of his repeat blood cultures hadn’t grown anything so we were hoping to go home on Friday.

– Wednesday night we found out that a blood culture from Tuesday came back with gram positive cocci.  From his picc line but not a peripheral.  Switched antibiotics again.

– The doctor told me today that they think it’s just his picc line that’s infected.  He’ll go to the OR tomorrow to have a new picc line placed and the infected one removed.  They’re doing it in the OR because of his history of not doing well with conscious-sedation and because the picc line nurse said he has really tiny veins and he’s not very easy to get a picc into.

– If all of the following cultures stay clear then we might be able to go home sometime this weekend.

– The surgeries that were supposed to take place have been pushed back indefinitely.

August 17, 2010

Surgery Canceled, Please Pray

Filed under: Uncategorized — Vanessa @ 8:20 am

Surgery has been canceled because Brock’s blood cultures came back with gram negative rods – a serious bacterial infection that isn’t as easy to treat as the ones he’s had before.

Pray that the antibiotics work, that he doesn’t get worse, and that the infection would go away!

I’ll post more details when I’m at a real computer.

August 10, 2010

Keep On Keepin’ On

Filed under: Uncategorized — Vanessa @ 11:08 am

Brock had a chest xray today to check the pneumothorax.  It’s actually worse than it was last week.  But, he looks and acts so good that the doctors still don’t want to do anything about it yet.  I’ve seen the xray and it seems like nothing short of a miracle that he’s not in respiratory distress.

Surgery is next Tuesday to put in another infusaport, do a fundoplication, and replace his g-j tube with a g tube.  Please pray that they’ll actually be able to DO the fundoplication.  The last time we tried it didn’t work because he had so much scaring/adhesions from the fungal infection.  We REALLY want to switch out his g-j tube for a g-tube but can’t do that unless the fundo works.

Please pray also for my grandma.  She fell last Thursday down an entire flight of stairs (in her cellar).  She’s the toughest woman I know.  She managed to climb back out and get back into the house and call for help.  They medi-flighted her directly from her house (in the middle of nowhere) to the hospital.  She has 8 staples in her head, a fractured vertebrae in her neck and a fractured clavicle.  She’s wearing a neck/chest immobilizer and she managed to get out of the bed for the first time today.  Also pray for my dad as he takes care of her.

Thank you so much for continuing to lift us up in prayer!

August 5, 2010

Homeward Bound

Filed under: Uncategorized — Vanessa @ 11:16 am

Brock has been fever free for over 24 hours so we get to go home today!

Older Posts »

Create a free website or blog at