Brock Rocks

April 1, 2010

Even Harder Decisions

Filed under: Uncategorized — Vanessa @ 7:11 am

We went to clinic yesterday to check Brock’s blood counts.  His hemaglobin and platelets were fine, but his white count and neutrophils were sky high.  Probably because he’s trying to fight off the fungal infection.  It’s also most likely the reason he’s had a fever almost every day for the last 3 weeks.

Our appointment was with a PA but our oncologist stopped me in the hall and said that our surgeon had sent her a message and said he didn’t think he’d be able to do the surgery because he would have to remove the entire lower left lobe.  She (our oncologist) is going to meet with him (our surgeon) today in conference so they can “discuss it.”  Basically, all of the oncologists in the group (and Jay and I) feel like it HAS to come out…but the surgeon doesn’t think it’s possible.  If they can’t remove it, then there’s no way we can move forward to Delayed Intensification.  At least that’s our and our oncologists opinion.  She thinks if we did DI while he still has the area of infection in his lungs, that the infection would get worse and “kill him” (her words to me yesterday).  There’s another oncologist in the group that thinks Brock has to go through DI because if he doesn’t the survival rate drops from 90% to 75%.  You see the problem?

Jay and I feel like we’ve been thrown back to November when they were telling us “if you treat the cancer, he’ll die from the fungal infection and if you treat the fungal infection he’ll die from the cancer.”  We’ve still been stuck between a rock and a hard place these last few months, it’s just that the waters weren’t rushing over us as fast as they are now.

Pray that the doctors would have wisdom.  Pray that God would use Brock to speak to them and change their lives.  Pray that they would be able to come to come to the best possible decision for Brock’s care….that God would continue the miracles he’s already preformed in Brock’s life…that God would give us peace about what lies ahead.


  1. Sending lots of prayers your way, praying the doc’s come up with a plan for Brock quickly. Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers and sending many hugs your way

    Comment by Jessica Lia — April 1, 2010 @ 7:17 am

  2. Dear Lord, please take the Hart family in your arms and bless them with your comfort and love. Please grace the doctors with wisdom and determination. Show them the miracles that only You can perform and let them also trust in You. May Brock be a beacon of love and joy to all. Hold this family and give them great care. We love them and we pray for them.

    Comment by Liv Wilson — April 1, 2010 @ 7:19 am

  3. Saying all the prayers I can that the doctors will come to a consensus regarding Brock-star’s treatment.

    Nicole, Jasmine & Brianna

    Comment by Nicole — April 1, 2010 @ 7:24 am

  4. Praying that God will give your surgeon knowledge/wisdom/a revelation on how to get the infection out of his lung. There has got to be a way and I’m praying that God will show your surgeon the way to get it done. After all the great things that have happened even when it wasn’t supposed to, I just am believing that there is a way!

    Comment by Amy Howell — April 1, 2010 @ 7:30 am

  5. My heart breaks for you reading this as it has many times prior. I can’t even imagine what an impossible decision this must be to make. I pray that God would give you strength, courage, and hope and that His comforting arms would surround you with His love during this time. I also pray that He would provide His wisdom to all of those involved in making decisions for Brock’s treatment plan.

    Comment by Susan Mitchell — April 1, 2010 @ 7:56 am

  6. My heart goes out to you and the family……YES Brock is always in my prayers…Stay firmin your faith and BELIVE ……God will always answer. LOVE YOU..

    Comment by Kathleen — April 1, 2010 @ 7:57 am

  7. You don’t know me. I work with Marie Treat in Owasso. She shared his blog right after he was diagnosed. Our 20 year old daughter was diagnosed shortly before Brock with cancer. I only say that to let you know I have been spending a lot of time with the Lord :), and our family has been praying for Brock daily since the beginning. We just wanted to let you know that you have friends in Christ in Tulsa who are lifting Brock, your family, and your doctors up. We will continue to pray for God’s merciful hand to lead the Dr.’s and give them his wisdom in how to treat Brock. You are an inspiration,and we pray for comfort and strength for you. The Sellers family

    Comment by Anita Sellers — April 1, 2010 @ 8:02 am

  8. Sorry you guys are having to make such hard decisions. We are praying for wisdom for everyone involved.

    Comment by Kayla Craig — April 1, 2010 @ 8:03 am

  9. I am so sorry to hear this news. Praying for wisdom for all involved and praying for a miracle for Brock.

    Comment by JoAnna McCall — April 1, 2010 @ 8:04 am

  10. I am praying for a miracle that only our Heavenly Father can provide. That He take away the fungal infection so you can move forward with treatment and Brock can keep his lung. That even the lukemia is totally healed. That He guide the doctors to work together for the best course of treatment of your precious Brock. That you all feel God’s love and comfort and are able to glorify Him.

    On a different note, my step daughter gets EleCare on e-bay. The expiration dates are shown on pictures of the cans of formula. I can’t remember if this is the formula you use but wanted to pass the info along, just in case.

    Blessings to all of you.

    Comment by Valerie Olmstead — April 1, 2010 @ 8:33 am

  11. I second what Amy said…I am also believing that there is a way! You have all fought so hard and come so far since November. We are also praying for wisdom for your doctors and peace for you and Jay in your decisions about Brock’s care.

    Comment by Chrissy Crowder — April 1, 2010 @ 8:43 am

  12. Heavenly Father,
    Please embrace the surgeons with your strength and spirit and give them wisdom to operate on Brock. Please bless the entire Hart family with strength and peace as they make decisions on this matter, and keep your loving arms around them. Lord, we rejoice in the miracles you have performed on Brock. In Jesus Name, Amen

    Comment by Shannon — April 1, 2010 @ 9:36 am

  13. Praying for healing, wisdom, successful treatments/surgeries, and a peace that passes all understanding.

    Comment by Emily — April 1, 2010 @ 9:44 am

  14. Sending much love, hugs and prayers.

    He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

    ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ *GOD LOVES YOU* ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

    In His Love,

    C.O.L.E. (Caring Openly, Loving Eternally) Prayer Team
    24/7 Prayer Line 888-365-COLE (2653)

    “There are many Americans who are clever and fearless, but the trouble is many are small children fighting an ugly disease.”

    Comment by Caterina Grove — April 1, 2010 @ 9:47 am

  15. We are all praying for widsom for the doctor’s to select the best course of treatment for Brock, and for strength for Brock to endure whatever treatments he does receive. And always, sending some strength and love to you, Jay, and Jaycie as well ((hugs))

    Comment by Marguerite, Trevor, and Marissa — April 1, 2010 @ 1:36 pm

  16. Hi Vanessa (et al.), just wanted to say that I’m still reading your posts and hoping all good things for Brock. I don’t comment much, so just wanted you to know I’m reading even if I’m not commenting. By the age of 30, I had to make hard decisions about both of my parents (ultimately, both died) so I can somewhat appreciate the predicament of the decisions you are describing. I hope you find encouragement and hope today.
    Peggy Itschner (Marcy Cunningham Watt’s friend)

    Comment by peggy — April 1, 2010 @ 1:53 pm

  17. Dear Harts, It is so difficult at times when we think we have already made a big decision and something happens that forces us to review it again.I pray the surgeon reviews his decision and opts for the ONE that best protects Brock and allows God’s power and glory to shine through for all of you as you walk beyond this valley to times that are easier and brighter!
    Love, Aunt Connie

    Comment by Connie — April 1, 2010 @ 5:17 pm

  18. We are praying for wisdom for all of the doctors involved with Brock’s care. We also pray for Brock’s (and your) comfort, strength, and stamina.
    ~The Bouch’s

    Comment by Melinda — April 1, 2010 @ 6:56 pm

  19. My heart is breaking for you all. Please know your family is constantly in our thoughts and prayers.

    Comment by Lindsey — April 1, 2010 @ 7:09 pm

  20. God love ya’ll. We’re still praying.

    Comment by Ken Jorgenson — April 2, 2010 @ 9:06 am

  21. Your analogy of rushing waters makes me think about our pastor’s sermon this past Sunday. He said that the journey of life is like kayaking a beautiful river. There are moments when the waters are calm and serene and it almost feels like we are in control. Then there are moments where an eddy sneaks up and tosses us about a bit or a large rock looms, clearly in our immediate path. Those times, those feelings of impending danger and fear, remind us that we can paddle and use every technique we know to fight through, but it is God that will continue to steer us.

    May you find comfort knowing that God is steering on this journey and He will lead you and the doctors in the right direction. God Bless your sweet family and please know that you are always in my thoughts and prayers.

    Comment by Casey Poynter — April 2, 2010 @ 11:43 am

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at

%d bloggers like this: