Brock Rocks

October 14, 2009

Oct 14, 2009

Filed under: Uncategorized — Vanessa @ 10:19 pm

Brock’s fever has gone up and down all day (depending on when he got his last dose of tylenol).  The high fever has made him pretty lethargic so he’s slept in my lap most of the day.  They drew blood cultures and we should get the results of those in the morning.

Dr. Blood (which is not her real name, by the way) said they were going to hold off on doing the platelets until he really needed them.  If we can stretch out transfusions one more day each time, then that’s less cost for us and less donors that Brock has to receive from.  She acted like they were still going to do the spinal tap and bone marrow tomorrow (and also change the access to his port).  I would imagine that if his fever got extremely high they might postpone it.

Even on a rough day like this I can’t help but think that things could be much worse.  I’m thankful for the good news we’ve received so far about which risk category he falls in.  I’m thankful that this happened to him when he was 11 months old and not 11 years old because I don’t have to worry about how I’m going to explain to him why people are hurting him or why his hair is going to fall out.  I’m thankful that he won’t remember any of this.  I’m thankful that whatever we go through in the future with him will just seem “normal” to him because he will have been doing it for as long as he can remember.  I’m thankful that he’s not old enough to mourn the normal life he had before cancer, like an older child would.

It’s been 1 week and it still feels weird to type the word “cancer.”  I might have to stick with leukemia from now on.  For some reason that’s easier to say.

My sister is holding him so I can eat dinner and type this update.  I need to get back in there soon.

Praises:
– everything I just mentioned

Prayer Requests:
– that whatever infection/virus/fever he has would go away.
– that the results of the bone marrow tomorrow will show that we killed a lot of the leukemia cells.
– that the DNA results we’re waiting on will indicate that he’s not at a higher risk of relapse (more on that later)

Thank you, once again, for everything you’ve done for us.

Advertisements

Leave a Comment »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: